The Port of Anchorage officially commenced operations in 1961.
Port activities date back to 1915 when the Lathrop Dock was constructed to meet the needs of the newly founded city of Anchorage at the head of the Cook Inlet. An Executive Order by President Woodrow Wilson in 1916 ordered the construction of the Alaska Railroad, which brought a flurry of building and business to the Ship Creek area.
In 1964, the largest earthquake in Alaskan history destroyed the Port of Seward, a major shipping hub, but did not damage the new Anchorage dock and port significantly.
After the disaster, the Port of Anchorage became a regional hub and now provides an estimated 90% of merchandise goods to 85% of the population of Alaska.